Radical Love Giveaway
What was it? A party for all ages that began after worship. We gave away, through a massive raffle, more than 80 experiences and services to be shared and enjoyed by a majority of the congregation over the year. The party is going to continue through the fellowship we share. And it’s going to grow as we attempt to bring congregants who didn’t participate into the fun! Watch our weekly announcements for invitations to take advantage of some opportunities that weren’t fully subscribed and for new offerings from congregants inspired by their experiences in past Rad Love Giveaways.
What wasn’t it? An auction. Everything was given away. There was no bidding and no charge for admission.
What did we do this year?
We listened to all the feedback from our last three fall fund raisers and this is what we heard:
* As usual, we need to do something to raise something north of $8,000 to meet our budget for the year.
* The Radical Love Giveaway Party two years ago was an experiment we should be proud of and not give up on easily. Raising funds, creating fellowship, and making the opportunities equally available to everyone regardless of wealth was a unique way of living out UU values. (No wonder Montpelier experimented with its own version last fall!)
* Moving the Party to January in the second year didn’t work so we should return to November.
* Some families were upset with an arrangement where, by chance, some kids got several things they wanted and many got none. Younger children don’t understand classism or the Giveaway as a stand against it.
* Some people miss the excitement of an auction.
* People are disappointed with events that get promised but don’t happen.
In response, we had a Radical Love Giveaway and Auction party on Sun Nov 24 after Worship. It was something similar to the first and second Radical Love Giveaway where all fellowship events were given away in random drawings and some items were auctioned off live and some by silent auction. People did not have to be present for drawings but they did have to have their tickets in the drawing which involved deputizing someone else to enter them on their behalf if they were away. All giveaway events had to specify a date (no more “date to be determined in the future” – those have a way of never happening). We extended the bidding to Dec 1. Here’s a list of what was submitted: Catalog Radical Love 2019
Here is a list of who won what: Radical Love Items Won Nov 2019. On Sunday Dec 8 we’ll have individual sheets for each person who donated something (with who won their stuff) and sheets for each person who won something (with what they won and from whom.) Anyone who won an actual item and has not picked it up yet can pick them up from the Blue Room on the Lower Level. If anyone finds errors with this list, they can contact Mary Hadley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donna LaRose, Terry Racich, Mary Hadley and Rev. Barnaby