Radical Love Giveaway Gratitude
What was it? A party for all ages that began after worship. We gave away, through a massive raffle, more than 80 experiences and services to be shared and enjoyed by a majority of the congregation over the year. The party is going to continue through the fellowship we share. And it’s going to grow as we attempt to bring congregants who didn’t participate into the fun! Watch our weekly announcements for invitations to take advantage of some opportunities that weren’t fully subscribed and for new offerings from congregants inspired by their experiences in past Rad Love Giveaways.
What wasn’t it? An auction. Everything was given away. There was no bidding and no charge for admission.
What are we planning for this year?
From your friends at “LGGORLPAFFR” Let’s Get Going on Our Radical Love Party/Auction Fall Fundraiser—pronounced “GORP”(because 1st two letters, “L” in middle, & last 4 letters are silent)
Hi everyone. GORP has been listening to all the feedback from our last three fall fund raisers and this is what we heard:
* As usual, we need to do something to raise something north of $8,000 to meet our budget for the year.
* The Radical Love Giveaway Party two years ago was an experiment we should be proud of and not give up on easily. Raising funds, creating fellowship, and making the opportunities equally available to everyone regardless of wealth was a unique way of living out UU values. (No wonder Montpelier experimented with its own version last fall!)
* Moving the Party to January in the second year didn’t work so we should return to November.
* Some families were upset with an arrangement where, by chance, some kids got several things they wanted and many got none. Younger children don’t understand classism or the Giveaway as a stand against it.
* Some people miss the excitement of an auction.
* People are disappointed with events that get promised but don’t happen.
In response, GORP has conceived of the following as a promising path forward:
* We will go with a Radical Love Auction Mixer spread out over several days around Thanksgiving.
* Friday, Nov. 22, we will have a kick-off party and Auction (with fewer items than in the past but open to the wider community in some fashion to be determined, including soliciting items to be auctioned from outside CVUUS).
* Sunday, Nov. 24 (before Thanksgiving), we will have a brief giveaway party after Worship at which every child present will be assured of getting something. This may include a higher-value whole family gift to be awarded via a random drawing.
* Sunday, Dec. 1 (after Thanksgiving) – after worship there will be something similar to the first and second Radical Love Giveaway where all fellowship events and goods will be given away in random drawings. People do not have to be present for this but they will have to have their tickets in the drawing – this may involve deputizing someone else to enter them on your behalf if you are away. All giveaway events must specify a date (no more “date to be determined in the future” – those have a way of never happening).
* All fund-raising, apart from the Auction, will once again be completed a week before the events. We will simplify the Ask and publicize it separately.
GORP is small. The opportunity is huge, especially with our new Fellowship Hall added to our facilities. We need lots of you to pick a piece of the organizing for us to capitalize spiritually and financially on what we have invented and to show other UU’s how to make it work.
Immediate needs include: 1) Someone to get a great music act for Nov. 22 and others to help assemble an exciting, creative range of auction items. 2) A planner to work with Donna LaRose on the Children’s Party.
3) Facilitators for this year’s Giveaway on Dec. 1. 4) A team that will consult on and pitch in with publicizing all three pieces of the Mixer appropriately.
Your GORP Squad – Donna LaRose, Terry Racich, Pat Schmitter, Rev. Barnaby