An LGBTQ Welcoming Congregation
We are a Welcoming Congregation, recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. This means we affirm and include people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer at every level of congregational life—in worship, in program, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
CVUUS hosts QUEERIOS, a Friday afternoon drop-in time for LGBTQ youth and youth allies during the school year in our Fenn basement. Confidentiality is protected. Adult chaperones are needed and welcome to comply with our safe congregation policy of having two adults with youth groups. Two of our adult chaperones have recently moved out of state and we’d love to have more people on our list of more or less occasional hosts. If you’re interested, please contact James Sanchez (email@example.com) or Jordan Young – firstname.lastname@example.org